Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An Oldtimer's Mumblings/Muses

May 31, 2017 05:18PM
For whatever reason I watched Yankeeography: Jorge Posada this afternoon - the whole thing. It's been shown many times but I would only catch bits and pieces. As I watched, started thinking - with WPIX, MSG and now YES, a generation or two has been able to watch nearly every Yankee game on television. Growing up first I was lucky on those games I could tune in on the radio; then came the Game of the Week which often regionalized several games each Saturday - remember St. Louis & Kansas City were the "western" teams until '57 when the Giants & Bums headed to California. It made the stars and their stats seem bigger than life. We were amazed to see Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra when they were televised. With YES we watched the CORE FOUR - almost every game they played. Maybe because we saw them every day, we took for granted their talents - looking back at the stats they compiled we know that Mariano and Jete will be HOFers on the first ballot. Looking at the numbers that Jorge put up, his performance behind the plate - was he fully appreciated or did we just expect it without realizing the numbers he put up. The new core is developing before us now - Sanchez, Judge, Severino, Torres (coming soon to the Bronx), Castro, Gregorius - as we enjoy the excitement they bring to the game, the anticipation - take a moment to reflect and appreciate what we have. Goes along the lines of what Dr. Charles Jeter told his son especially during his 'farewell tour" take the time to step back and enjoy the ride.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An Oldtimer's Mumblings/Muses

toga1058May 31, 2017 05:18PM

Re: An Oldtimer's Mumblings/Muses

Hitman23643May 31, 2017 11:58PM