Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Let's Play Manager

September 16, 2018 12:06PM
Two weeks from today the regular season ends - you are the manager of the Yankees. You were hired because you could infuse sabermetrics/computer-advised stats into the lineup & pitching changes. Doing this you've seen your team go from having a first-place lead in the ALE to a 'lock on the W/C one-game playoff' to now scurrying for your W/C spot at all. Ok in all probably you will hold on to a W/C spot. BUT let's talk - Sabathia has been floundering in his last several starts. Do you keep him in the rotation? Maybe use him with Lynn in a combined #5 rotation spot - neither has been giving us quality starts and that takes a toll on the pen. Justus Sheffield is coming up - would you start him against Baltimore or Tampa?? This one hurts but Gardy has shown some signs of slowing down while slumping at the plate!!! Would you bench him and start McCutchen in left as a prelude to getting Judge back in the lineup? Don't forget you've got Neil Walker who can play a few games in right until Judge is full strength. We've watched the bull pen and know that the strength is with DRob, Dellin, Chad, Holder & Britton until Chap is green lighted. Why mess with Kahnle who maybe because of all the pitches last year has not been lights out this season - spending most of the year between the DL & S/WB. The kids up for September & weaker links - use them only in a blowout loss not when it looks like we have a comeback feel to the game - that is a big reason for losing yesterday.
Do you go with your gut feeling instead of the saber or cybermetrics??? Remember this was a factor in Joe G not getting a new contract along with the fact that he reprimanded a star in public - after behind-the-scenes tutoring did not make an impression. With hfa for the W/C on the line what would you do. Me - for sure I'm old school & winning is more important than players' egos & if it costs me a job - so be it.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Let's Play Manager

toga814September 16, 2018 12:06PM

Re: Let's Play Manager

Hitman23483September 16, 2018 01:39PM

toga482September 16, 2018 02:04PM

PRYanksFan527September 16, 2018 02:42PM

unclekevin429September 17, 2018 01:11PM