Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

20 Years Later

August 18, 2018 05:57PM
Maybe because I have been a Yankee since 1951 - 1998 seems not so long ago - and then you remember that it's been 2 decades since this historical team made its mark. Five games into the season we were just hoping to turn things around and win some games - 1-4 not an auspicious start. A team meeting - veterans made some statements and the rallying cry went. They played the remainder of the season as a TEAM, a Family - everyone on the roster, in the dugout or bull pen was pulling for every other player. No one had to be a star, no ego was too large that he had to hog the spotlight. Every day saw a different hero. There was a look in each players' eyes that showed a determination to win. It was a special look that seems to have faded as members of this special team were traded or retired - I look for it in this year's team & at times see sparks.
Listening to David Cone & Paul O'Neill this afternoon along with Andy Pettitte, Mariano, Jorge, Boomer - you knew what each guy meant to the other - loved the statement when asked how the team reacted after a loss, 'we were mad, we wanted to get back out there & win'. Gotta love that Graehme Lloyd makes the trip from Australia to attend these events - second one this year.There are so many memories from that season - made extra special because my Mom had died the previous November & my brother was not doing well (he would die in December) - the Yankees have been my escape & passion. Today's ceremonyshows just how lucky Yankee fans are - the heritage, the aura, the mystique that comes with donning those pinstripes. There were some names & faces that were not familiar but most were iconic. We got to see how time has treated some better than others - like all some age better than others. After the introductions, videos from Scott Brosius (3rd base coach for the Mariners); Derek Jeter (in FL to celebrate his daughter's first birthday). Gene Michael, Tony Cloninger & Hideki Irabu were remembered. Other notable absences: Chris Chambliss (planned to be there but had an emergency); Mike Stanton (Astro's sportscaster); ElDuque and Joe Girardi (understandably not present). Brian Cashman was introduced as this was his first year as GM succeeding Bob Watson. Celebrations like this can only be presented in Yankee Stadium and give us reason to be proud to be Yankee fans.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

20 Years Later

toga672August 18, 2018 05:57PM

Re: 20 Years Later

Hitman23359August 18, 2018 11:07PM

Re: 20 Years Later

toga334August 19, 2018 06:28AM