Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eovaldi needs elbow surgery, likely out for 2017

August 16, 2016 05:30PM
NEW YORK — The news came back on Nathan Eovaldi's injured right elbow, and it's not good.
[www.nj.com]

Eovaldi met with the media outside of the Yankees clubhouse on Tuesday afternoon to announce that he needs two surgeries on his right arm: Tommy John (the second of his career) and flexor tendon surgery. The timetable for recovery in total could be up to 18 months, likely knocking Eovaldi out for the rest of 2016 and entire 2017 season.

Andy Pettitte throws BP for Yankees
"I'm going to go ahead and get both surgeries," Eovaldi said. "I tore my flexor tendon and partially damaged by UCL. Going to back to the start before Boston, I had general soreness. It was really just that day. Trying to play catch out there—I couldn't let my fastball go. I just kind of felt a little pinch down there (elbow). After the first inning, my velocity was down a little bit, but I didn't feel like it was anything to worry about. When I got the MRI results I was really surprised to see the flexor tendon was ripped off the bone and I tore my UCL."

Eovaldi wasn't sure who would perform the procedure or when it would take place.

Considering that it's the second time he's undergone Tommy John, Eovaldi acknowledged that the recovery time could be a little bit longer than other pitchers who are going through the process for the first time.

"Flexor tendon will be three-to-six months for that rehab," Eovadli said. "The UCL—being the second time—more like 14-to-18 months. I got a second a opinion. Very best case scenario is maybe to make it back toward the end of next year."

Eovaldi's struggles

The 26-year-old ends the season with a 4.21 ERA in 24 appearances, including 21 starts in the Yankees rotation. In two years since arriving to the Yankees in a trade from the Miami Marlins, Eovaldi owns a 4.45 ERA.

Eovaldi was arbitration eligible for the first time before 2016 and was set to become a free agent following the 2018 season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Eovaldi needs elbow surgery, likely out for 2017

Giambino1537August 16, 2016 05:30PM

Re: Eovaldi needs elbow surgery, likely out for 2017

toga998August 16, 2016 05:54PM

Crap!!!

Hitman231187August 16, 2016 07:04PM