Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Day-Off Ramblings

April 09, 2018 09:34AM
Ten games into the 2018 season - so far plenty of disappointments. Only won one series out of three; the big guns struggle in the clutch; pen has sputtered; injuries & illness have taken a toll. Following a devastating weekend AT HOME against Showalter & the O's, we head to BeanTown still unsure who will start the 3rd game. Am I disappointed, upset, frustrated & upset - of course. Will this team rebound? maybe Can they? absolutely.
In the first week we lost Aaron Hicks, Bill McKinney. CC, Brandon Drury with Bird already on the DL - that's a huge part of the 25-man roster. Greg gets the stitches out today - if all goes well could return by mid-Ma - but Tyler Austin is proving to be a challenge for a spot in the Bronx. Miguel Andjuar is getting a chance but still needs seasoning. Walker has been doing a nice job wherever he plays; Tyler Wade was making his mark at 2nd hope it continues when he returns from the flu. Gardy continues to be a leader whether in left or center & a solid leadoff hitter.
We had a glimmer last week what we expect to see from the S.A.G. squad when they all went deep in the same game. Other than that: Stanton who had never K'd five times in a game did it twice over the weekend having a horrendous first homestand & getting profoundly booed throughout. After making improvements & playing a decent left, he was switched to RF yesterday so Judge could DH & had some difficulty making adjustments. Aaron has a descent average & obp BUT is not getting clutch hits - that DP yesterday summed it up. Gary has been better so far behind the plate blocking pitches & continues to excel behind the plate. He has been struggling at the plate . There have been comments how about the colder than normal whether & we've seen the cold air keep in some balls that might otherwise have cleared the wall - BUT that's why you need small ball & key hits with risp Both teams on the field battle the same temps & wind - can't fall behind that excuse; both teams have 25-man rosters in extra innings - on all accounts the Yankees have come up short.
Now moving to the coaching staff: We're not the only team with a novice for a manager - Boone has a lot of adjusting to do but between cybermetrics & veteran coaches should be surrounded by responsible help. Where to start? For me it's Larry Rothchild - we've been watching mishandling of the pitching staff & bull pen for several years. Rothchild is the one responsible for both & has failed many times. Joe G took the brunt of the blame when pitching decisions were called to question & Boone will most likely do the same. Rothchild is supposed to advise him - if we can watch & see a pitcher doesn't have his stuff, is tiring - why can't he in the dugout. Marcus Thames made the transition from assistant to hitting coach - to some extent there has been some improvement in playing small ball with the likes of Walker, Austin, Wade, & Drury. every batter including the S.A.G. needs to stay within their comfort zone - go with the pitches they get & stop over swinging for the fences - the home runs will come.
Many of you have become friends through TYB especially G-man & his lovely bride, Kevin & H-man - I trust none of you question my passion & love for the Yankees. From those early days in 1951 right through the beginning of the 2018 season, there have been many changes of every kind including the construction of The Cathedral II; numerous championships & some mediocre at best seasons; my HOF (not necessarily Cooperstown because my bar is stricter & higher) quality players to some bad decisions/signings/contracts - through it all I remain on the roller coaster of bleeding pinstripe blood. In 2001 I actually called the D'Backs anti-American for winning the WS starting with Luis Gonzalez moody smiley In 2004 everything in my life changed personally & Yankeeish - first was the loss of my daughter while the Yankees opened the season in Japan - then came the disastrous playoffs & 'watching" (because didn't actually) Sux end the curse. . Maybe that has a lot to do with why these days I suffer through losses, horrible games while anticipating the best is yet to come & trying to find something good even is devastation like this past weekend. It's never about losing my love for the Yankees but realizing that baseball is not a life and death matter - there will be another game tomorrow,
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Day-Off Ramblings

toga760April 09, 2018 09:34AM