Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Severino can clinch a World Series birth in 1st playoff journey

October 19, 2017 07:07AM
Severino can clinch a World Series birth in 1st playoff journey [nypost.com]

Luis Severino has gone from getting knocked out in the first inning of the wild-card game to having a chance to pitch the Yankees into the World Series.

And despite the team’s concerns about his health during his last outing against the Astros, when he was removed after four innings, the Yankees are now convinced he’s healthy heading into Game 6 of the ALCS on Friday in Houston.

The right-hander threw a bullpen session before Wednesday’s 5-0 win in The Bronx and reported no issues.

“From the beginning, I said there was no problem and that I didn’t feel anything,” Severino said. “I threw today and felt 100 percent.”

Now, he and the Yankees have to figure out a way to beat Justin Verlander.

If they do, it’s on to the World Series — and even more innings for Severino, who already has pitched a career-high 204 ²/₃. His previous ceiling came in 2015, when he threw 161 ²/₃ innings and now could make as many as three more starts.

Last season, he was limited to 151 ¹/₃ innings because of time spent on the disabled list and in the bullpen, but the Yankees aren’t holding back.

“I hate to say it, but at the end of the day, when the dust settles, when you’re in the postseason, everything goes out the window,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said before the game. “You do what you can to win.”

That remains the case even after the 23-year-old got their attention by windmilling his arm in the fourth inning of his previous outing, prompting Joe Girardi to lift him upon completion of the frame.

On Wednesday, reminded that after Severino’s previous outing he said he wanted to “protect” the pitcher, Girardi said, “My concern was coming off, I think it was 113 pitches, the amount of innings [seven, in ALDS Game 4 against the Indians]. I was concerned when people said he looks a little different. … But those concerns have kind of been put to rest for me.”

That was due in part to Wednesday’s bullpen session.

“His physical testing went great,” Cashman said. “He feels good. So he’s lined up.”

How he responds to the pressure of a possible World Series berth remains to be seen.

“I hope I can control my emotions,” Severino said. “I feel a lot of confidence in myself.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Severino can clinch a World Series birth in 1st playoff journey

Giambino909October 19, 2017 07:07AM

Verlander..

Hitman23521October 19, 2017 02:00PM

Re: Verlander..

toga474October 19, 2017 05:17PM

Re: Verlander..

Giambino511October 19, 2017 10:31PM

Beautiful stats info!!!

Hitman23463October 20, 2017 07:34PM

So much for that ERA over 6.00..