Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Next 10 games of home stand could determine whether Yanks buy or sell

July 15, 2016 10:54AM
Next 10 games of home stand could determine whether Yankees buy or sell
15 Jul, 2016 in Yankees News / Yankees Rumors by Delia Enriquez
[bronxbaseballdaily.com]

The Yankees kick off a 10-game home stand at Yankee Stadium on Friday night as the team prepares to take on the Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles and San Francisco Giants. However, these next 10 games are vital to the Yankees as they still dwindle between being buyers and sellers at the trade deadline.

Let’s cut to the chase here: The Yankees aren’t a good enough team to compete in a vigorous postseason race, let a lone a one-game playoff. But the organization believes that they can be a postseason team come early October.

“We’re not going to be a seller unless ownership green-lights that,” Cashman said last month after the Yankees got on a roll for a five game winning streak that catapulted them back to the .500 mark. “I’ll have an honest dialogue with ownership every step of the way as I always do. If we feel at a date in the future that that’s a necessity, then trust me, I’ll recommend it, and they’ll make a decision based on their comfort level. I’m always a brutally honest person.”

Cashman wasn’t available for comment after the Yankees took three of four from the Cleveland Indians, but Yankees president Randy Levine believes the team is a contender, which he hopes the team will prove in the coming weeks.

“All the talk of buying or selling is speculation at this point,” Levine said. “There’s two weeks to go, and at that time we’ll make a decision. You can’t make any decisions until you have specific transactions in front of you.

“We believe in this team.”

If the Yankees were preparing to sell, a source told ESPN New York they would be okay trading the following players: Aroldis Chapman, Mark Teixeira, Ivan Nova, Nathan Eovaldi, Carlos Beltran, Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances.

The Yankees would try to move Chapman, Teixeira, Nova, and Beltran because they’re all free agents following the 2016 season. Eovaldi will be eligible for one final year of arbitration before becoming a free agent at the end of the 2017 season. Ellsbury and McCann are contracts the team would like to move but will have difficulty doing so due to the contract value. And Miller along with Betances are more likely to stay unless there’s an offer that “blows away” the Bronx Bombers.

The Yankees have a week and a half to decide the direction this club his heading. And if the Yankees continue to trend downwards, the team could be sellers in two weeks time.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Next 10 games of home stand could determine whether Yanks buy or sell

Giambino2206July 15, 2016 10:54AM

Re: Next 10 games of home stand could determine whether Yanks buy or sell

Hitman231202July 15, 2016 11:38AM

Giambino1411July 15, 2016 02:30PM

toga1326July 15, 2016 03:40PM

Hitman231212July 15, 2016 04:57PM