Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crucial Week Ahead

August 14, 2017 08:54AM
As a Yankee fan, it has been a marvelous 66 year ride - ups & downs - glory added to myth with 15 championships. I've witnessed a season of winning 103 games only to come in second place in AL - there were only 8 teams then; AS's & HOF's; ROYs; MVP's even our own triple crown winner. I've struggled through losing seasons with my fiery temper - through it all my loyalty has never been in doubt. I have mellowed with age, now in my 70's I do not take losing easy but have to control & get on with the next game much like Mariano Rivera would put a BS behind him. Last night's loss was worse than had it even been 0-1 - simply because we had come back on a night that the probably CY of 2017 started - Jordy gave us a quality start; the pitchers kept us in the game until a semblance of life from the bats gave us a lead. I never question Joe Girardi because he gets paid & has more baseball knowledge than I; for better or worse he also has 'experts' with computer/stats/hypotheticals weighing in on decisions. He goes out of his way not to criticize especially via the media any of his players - Gary Sanchez is the perfect example. While social media was openly critical of the nonchalant play & lackluster bat/running of Gary, Joe & his coaching staff were behind the cameras trying to tell him to focus on his game. When he continually refused, Joe questioned his play openly/Dh'd him then sat him in consecutive games - after which we noticed an upgrade in Gary's play. Maybe now it's time to bench Aaron Judge and give him a couple of days to recharge his batteries. I still think he can be a .300 hitter with 40+ home runs enroute to becoming one of the elite RFers. With both CC & Tank going on the DL, having a reliable pen is tantamount to success. Chap needs to straighten out his mechanics - if not regardless of hurting his feelings, Joe needs to adjust the pecking order.
This weekend at home we lost 2/3 to the Sux whom we have up to this series pretty much tamed. We are about to continue rivalry week with 4 games, a home/away series, with the Muts before departing for Funkway for 3 over the weekend. If we are able to take at 3 in bragging rights for NYC then go to Beantown with a modicum of momentum - take at least 2 there - it will set the stage for the 4 games Labor Day weekend with the Sux. We must now take charge of our destiny & stay focused - full effort in every game, no stupid errors (physical or mental) ; and start getting key hits with risp. If we do not make the playoffs after Cash made the trades for this run; after the more-than-expected start the youngsters were off to - it will be disappointing to some failure - but maybe because I've seen so much in my Yankee life, I am still excited with the Team the youth movement. As we still have six weeks remaining, I am not writing off 2017, will rise & fall with every game (even the 12 I will miss) before contemplating ideas for 2018. Let's make 2017 happen.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Crucial Week Ahead

toga830August 14, 2017 08:54AM